Hand sanitizer may have caused girl to burst into flames at hospital2/20/2013
Should we be concerned that this is the second story today of someone bursting into flames? In this case, hand sanitizer may have caused an 11-year-old girl to catch fire in an Oregon hospital. Ireland Lane, a cancer survivor, was painting in her bed at Portland's Doernbecher Children's Hospital, where she was being treated for an unrelated injury when her T-shirt seemed to spontaneously combust. Her dad sprang into action, smothering the flames with his own body. Unfortunately, Ireland already had third-degree burns on her chest, neck, arms and ears and is receiving skin grafts. One possible explanation: a static electric shock from Lane's bedding ignited ethyl alcohol fumes from the hand sanitizer used to clean her side table. [Source]
Click msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.
Share your good wishes for Ireland here.