Top 10 memorable lines from the vice presidential debate10/12/2012
The tone and tactics of Thursday's sit-down between Democratic vice president Joe Biden and Republican Rep. Paul Ryan were a decided about-face from the first presidential debate: aggressive and occasionally testy, though most of the teeth baring was Biden flashing dismissive smiles when he wasn't on the attack against his younger challenger. While Biden wouldn't let go of Mitt Romney's "47 percent" characterization of tax deadbeats, Ryan hit back hard on the slow recovery of the economy. And, as is almost always the case, the debate produced its share of memorable lines:
10. "If we had listened to Gov. Romney during the Bush years, imagine where all those seniors would be now if they had their (Social Security) money in the market." – Biden
9. "What we are watching on our TV screens is the unravelling of the Obama foreign policy, which is making us … less safe." – Ryan
8. "With all due respect, that's a bunch of malarkey. Not a thing [Ryan] said was accurate." – Biden
7. "Mr. Vice President, I know you're under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground, but I think people would be better served if we don't keep interrupting each other." – Ryan
6. "I heard that death panel argument from Sarah Palin. It seems every vice presidential debate I hear this kind of stuff about panels." – Biden
5. "Our ambassador in Paris has a Marine detachment guarding him. Shouldn't we have a Marine detachment guarding our ambassador in Benghazi, a place where we knew that there was an Al Qaida cell with arms?" – Ryan
4. "You probably detected my frustration with their attitude about the American people. My friend says that 30 percent of the American people are takers. Romney points out that 47 percent of the people won't take responsibility. He's talking about my mother and father. He's talking about the places I grew up … He's talking about the people that have built this country." – Biden
3. "Our [unborn] little baby was in the shape of a bean, and to this day we have nicknamed our first born child, Liza, 'Bean.' " – Ryan
2. "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy?" – Biden
1. "I think the vice president very well knows that sometimes the words don’t come out of your mouth the right way." – Ryan
Click to see more on msnNOW.com , updated 24 hours a day.
What do you think?